last updated 3.31.17
Position Title: Chief Operating Officer
Brooklyn Youth Chorus is seeking a full-time Chief Operating Officer to join our vibrant, vital team at our headquarters in Brooklyn. The ideal candidate will be a mission-focused, seasoned, strategic and process-minded leader who will lead a growing staff and support the Artistic Director in fulfilling the plans and vision for the organization. This position reports to the Founder/Artistic Director. Main responsibilities include:
- Working with the Founder and Artistic Director, creates the strategic plan for the artistic, educational, and performance goals of the organization and implements new processes and approaches to achieve it.
- Serves as chief business manager and internal leader of the organization, overseeing all major departments including finance, marketing, operations and production activities of the organization; provides day-to-day leadership for all staff.
- Serves as liaison to the Board of Directors on matters of finance, development and strategic planning. Prepares materials for, and presents at board meetings, serves on board committees, and assists the board in achieving the organization’s operational priorities. Ensures processes exist to meet commitments made during Board meetings and tracks progress as needed.
- With input from the Founder and Artistic Director and key managers, prepares the annual budget, and in collaboration with the Founder and Artistic Director, presents it to the Board for approval. Assumes overall financial responsibility for ensuring adherence to the annual budget, regularly monitors the organization’s income, expenses and cash flow, and anticipates potential challenges.
- Works with Director of Development in creating and implementing fundraising plans to secure and maintain individual, foundation, corporate and government income sources. The Development function reports to the Artistic Director, with a dotted-line reporting to COO.
- Develops new earned revenue sources and maximizes existing revenue base (i.e., tuition, merchandising, space rentals). Supports the Artistic Director in realizing programmatic initiatives and contracted performance opportunities.
- Devises and implements human resources and operational processes. Manages a closely-knit staff, vendors and consultants.
- Directs marketing and communications efforts in coordination with the Marketing Director, including annual marketing and PR strategy for both institutional and event marketing.
- Builds and maintains relationships with government entities, schools, community groups, cultural institutions and the general public to raise BYC’s profile as both an arts educator and arts presenter. Shares responsibility for representing the organization at a variety of functions.
- Supports the Artistic Director, from a business-management perspective, in matters relating to artistic collaborations.
- As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in the core values of Brooklyn Youth Chorus and be driven by the mission.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a senior-level management role with demonstrated success in operational, fiscal, and program oversight, strategic planning and a proven leader in managing and inspiring high-performing work teams. Encourages a culture of teamwork and effective cross-departmental communication.
- Executive-level leadership skills, including the ability to think and plan strategically and execute an organizational vision.
- A track record of success in raising funds from multiple sources for nonprofit arts organizations; and an understanding and ability to anticipate and project earned income potential.
- Strong networking and relationship-building skills and ability to communicate the organization’s vision.
- Must hold a Bachelor’s degree or higher. Additional graduate experience in arts administration management preferred but not required.
- Previous experience in non-profit arts management and working knowledge of concert production is preferred.
Commensurate with experience.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and at least two professional references to email@example.com with “Chief Operating Officer” in the subject line. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered. No calls, please. EOE.
Position Title: Full-time School Administrator
Brooklyn Youth Chorus seeks a highly organized, forward-thinking, and experienced School Administrator to oversee all aspects of the organization’s school administrative functions, including new student auditions, registration, student/family services, Training Divisions programs, and the Musical Electives Program. Main responsibilities include:
Organization’s Master Calendar
- Ensure scheduling and coordination of all key events and deadlines across all major departments, including Registration, Recruitment, Development, Finance, Programming, Marketing, HR, and Production.
Program Leadership and Management
- Responsible for all aspects of administering and planning for the Training Divisions Choral Program, including: providing administrative strategy, structure, and guidance to the Training Divisions team.
- Oversee new student auditions; choral program and elective lessons registration/enrollment; waitlist management; and mass communications to families.
- Coordinate recruitment.
- In collaboration with the Office of Financial Aid, oversee and administer scholarships and monitor compliance; develop criteria and guidelines for new scholarships; manage application process.
- Maintain and update policies in the Student Handbook.
- Participate in annual programming and staffing review to ensure quality standards.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and Artistic Director on strategic planning and outcomes.
- Secure and manage all rental facilities and relationships.
Musical Electives Program (Private Lessons, Group Classes, Workshops, Camp)
- Manage registration and schedule all weekly lessons and classes.
- Serve as primary contact for parents and address concerns as needed.
- Hire and supervise electives faculty (10-12 teachers).
- Oversee preparation and logistics for recital rehearsals and recitals (two per year).
- Oversee a staff of approximately 15-20 full-time and part-time faculty members, program managers, and accompanists.
- Assist in the hiring of, and ensure staff substitute coverage for all program staffing needs, including Training Division conductors/rehearsal managers/accompanists, private lesson/group classes/camp/workshop faculty, and the front desk receptionist.
- Track and approve timesheets; manage online time sheet system for direct reports.
- Create new procedures and policies to streamline administrative processes.
- Compile, analyze, and report on student data for the Equity and Access Committee.
- Create reports for Artistic Director, Director of Development, E&A Committee, and others as needed.
- Develop, modify, and present emergency preparedness plans.
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least 5 years of related experience, including 3 years of supervisory experience in an education-based, preferably music education-based, field.
- Detail oriented, self-motivated, and able to work independently.
- Able to carefully manage and prioritize multiple responsibilities and projects with short or changing deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication, and organizational skills.
- Adept at working with a diverse student and parent body, faculty and colleagues.
We will only contact applicants who best meet our criteria. Brooklyn Youth Chorus is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Salary will be dependent upon experience, and references will be requested. Offered benefits and vacation are competitive.Apply for this job +