DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS EXTENDED: Friday, February 1.
The Grammy-winning Brooklyn Youth Chorus is seeking submissions for our 2018-19 Men’s Ensemble Composer Competition, and thanks to a generous donation from an anonymous funder, there is a cash prize of $500, which will be awarded to the composer of the winning composition. There is no entry fee for submissions.
Please review the complete competition guidelines below:
Entries should be:
- suitable for young men ages 12-18
- written for 3-part or 2-part Men’s Choir (TBB, TTB, or TB); click here for detailed notes for composers
- a capella, or with piano accompaniment
- three to eight minutes in length
- original and with no prior public performance (public performance is defined in the U.S. copyright law to include any music played outside a normal circle of friends and family)
- themes celebrating diversity, inclusion, empowering underrepresented voices, and/or the pursuit of scientific discovery will be given priority. Text can be original or in the public domain. The copyrighted text is permissible as long as permission is received from the copyright owner.
- pieces that are rhythmic, fast-paced, and uplifting
- pieces that provide both the ensemble and the audience with a rewarding and enjoyable musical experience
- Mon, Feb 1, 2019, 12:00 pm ET (EXTENDED DEADLINE) – Please note all submissions must be received by Noon.
- Fri, Feb 15, 2019 – Announcement of the winning composition
- Sat, May 18 – Premiere performance of the winning composition
- open to all composers regardless of age or nationality
SUBMISSION PROCESS AND ENTRY FEE
- Scores must be submitted via our online submission form
- There is no entry fee for this competition thanks to a donation from a generous funder
- Entry scores should NOT include composer’s name so that evaluation and judging of each composition may be conducted anonymously
The competition winner will receive a:
- Prize of $500 USD
- World premiere performance by the Brooklyn Youth Chorus Men’s Ensemble
- Well-rehearsed recording of the live performance
- All submissions that meet the above guidelines will be reviewed by the conductor of the Brooklyn Youth Chorus Men’s Ensemble
- Taken into consideration will be the quality of the piece, and its suitability for successful performance by the Brooklyn Youth Chorus Men’s Ensemble
PAST WINNERS AND LISTENING EXAMPLES
Afternoon on a Hill by Samuel Cho (2017 Competition Winner); recording coming soonEnter the Competition Here