Welcome! We’re so glad that you’re interested in our programs. Brooklyn Youth Chorus offers exceptional choral music training for both boys and girls, ages 7 to 21 years old. No experience is required, but a love of singing and enthusiasm for music is essential.
Auditions are NOW OPEN for the Spring Semester, which runs from January 2020 to May 2020. Click the button below to login to the Brooklyn Youth Chorus Parent Portal and to sign-up for an audition slot.Schedule an Audition
Auditions are conducted in a relaxed, informal atmosphere, and students do not need to prepare anything in advance. The audition lasts between 5-10 minutes and includes simple pitch-matching exercises, singing scales and the familiar song, “Happy Birthday.” Auditions are held free of charge.
All auditions are held at the following address unless otherwise noted:
Brooklyn Youth Chorus
179 Pacific Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Click here for transit directions.
Audition outcome and placement results will be sent via email following the audition. Brooklyn Youth Chorus staff will let you know the time frame within which you can expect your child’s results.
In addition, this placement email will also include information about the Chorus’s online registration process, tuition (tuition rates vary by division and level), and financial aid process, as well as rehearsal times and locations.
Brooklyn Youth Chorus’s division structure is organized by both age and level of skill and experience. Most new choristers begin in one of the Training Divisions—Levels 1 to 6 and Men’s Training. Advanced singers (ages 11+) may be placed in one of the three Performing Ensembles. The number and length of rehearsals, as well as the number of performances each year, increase as a chorister progresses through the program.
- Prep (boys and girls; ages 7-9)
- Level 1 & 2: 1 hour, 1 day / week
- Pre-Teen (boys and girls; ages 10-12)
- Level 3: 1.5 hours, 1 day / week
- Level 4: 2 hours, 1 day / week
- Level 5: 2 hours, 1 day / week + extra 2 hour rehearsal approximately 2 times / semester
- Teen (boys and girls; ages 13+)
- Level 6: 2 hours, 1 day / week + extra 2 hour rehearsal approximately 2 times / semester
- Men’s Training (boys with changed voices; ages 12+)
- 2 hours, 1 day / week + extra 2 hour rehearsal approximately 2 times / semester
- Junior Ensemble (boys and girls, ages 11+)
- 2 hours, 2 days / week
- Men’s Ensemble (boys with changed voices, ages 12+)
- 2 hours, 2 days / week
- Concert Ensemble (boys and girls, ages 11+)
- 2 hours and 15 minutes, 3 days / week
Choristers are assessed each spring to evaluate their progress and determine their readiness for placement into more advanced chorus divisions.
Rehearsals take place in various neighborhood locations in Brooklyn, according to class level and section. In addition to our Headquarters located at 179 Pacific Street, neighborhood rehearsal locations currently include Cobble Hill, Brooklyn Heights, Bed-Stuy, Fort Greene, and Red Hook (locations subject to change).
Tuition and Financial Aid
- Tuition varies and is determined by division and level. More information about tuition will be included if accepted into the program.
- Brooklyn Youth Chorus encourages families who need assistance with tuition to apply for financial aid. When you receive your acceptance letter, you will be notified of our financial aid application dates and processes. Families may need to provide tax returns and pay stubs or evidence of receiving social services benefits as part of the application process. You do not need to be receiving social services benefits to qualify for financial aid.
Audition Notification List
If you’re unable to accommodate an audition at this time, click the button below to sign-up for notice about upcoming audition dates.Audition Notification List