Welcome! We’re so glad that you’re interested in our programs. Brooklyn Youth Chorus offers exceptional choral music training for both boys and girls, ages 7 to 21 years old. No experience is required, but a love of singing and enthusiasm for music is essential.
It goes without saying, but even though we are virtual right now – our students are still learning.
At Brooklyn Youth Chorus, when we train singers, we also nurture their voices. We consider a young voice a resource that needs care, encouragement and time to blossom. Our training is based on voice science, health, and a comprehensive approach to building sight-reading and music literacy skills. The old-fashioned notion of learning by doing still applies – even virtually.
Our goal is to develop each singer’s full musical potential so they can deliver polished and authentic performances across a range of genres and styles. Although we’re virtual right now, this goal hasn’t changed.
Overview of Virtual Classes
Our staff has been working to create, innovate and refine teaching methods for learning, community building and music making through Zoom and other online platforms. We are confident that students will continue to find these experiences rewarding.
The following is a broad overview of how we are approaching virtual music education:
We are excited to be able to offer our students instruction in working in digital music platforms for music notation, theory and ear training, and audio recording.
Varied Rehearsal Structures
Our rehearsals will have a variety of structures, depending on the age level. While all rehearsals will focus on vocal development and music education in a synchronous learning environment, there will be additional time dedicated to age and level-appropriate virtual recording projects, small group work, work on solo repertoire/music music theory, sight singing and ear training, and independent or partner work on special projects, recording, and supplemental home learning.
While it may be some time before we are able to perform standing side by side, there will be opportunities to perform as a virtual chorus for events like our annual holiday concerts.
We will be using a team-teaching approach to accommodate small group instruction and specialization. (Performing Ensembles only.)
Auditions for New Students
** COVID-19 AUDITION UPDATE **
Due to the restrictions on public gatherings and social distancing measures, Brooklyn Youth Chorus is temporarily waiving auditions for new singers until further notice. New singers will be automatically placed into the entry-level division based on their current age. Once social distancing rules have been lifted, students may be asked to complete a ‘new singer assessment’, in addition to classroom observations, to ensure the best placement within the Chorus’s division levels
If your young person is interested in joining Brooklyn Youth Chorus for the 2020-21 season (September 2020 to mid-May 2021) please complete and submit the form below or click here to open in a new window.
Brooklyn Youth Chorus’s division structure is organized by both age and level of skill and experience. Most new choristers begin in one of the Training Divisions—Levels 1 to 6 and Men’s Training. Advanced singers (ages 11+) may be placed in one of the three Performing Ensembles. The number and length of rehearsals, as well as the number of performances each year, increase as a chorister progresses through the program.
- Prep (boys and girls; ages 7-9)
- Level 1 & 2: 1 hour, 1 day / week
- Pre-Teen (boys and girls; ages 10-12)
- Level 3: 1.5 hours, 1 day / week
- Level 4: 2 hours, 1 day / week
- Level 5: 2 hours, 1 day / week + extra 2 hour rehearsal approximately 2 times / semester
- Teen (boys and girls; ages 13+)
- Level 6: 2 hours, 1 day / week + extra 2 hour rehearsal approximately 2 times / semester
- Men’s Training (boys with changed voices; ages 12+)
- 2 hours, 1 day / week + extra 2 hour rehearsal approximately 2 times / semester
- Junior Ensemble (boys and girls, ages 11+)
- 2 hours, 2 days / week
- Men’s Ensemble (boys with changed voices, ages 12+)
- 2 hours, 2 days / week
- Concert Ensemble (boys and girls, ages 11+)
- 2 hours and 15 minutes, 3 days / week
Choristers are assessed each spring to evaluate their progress and determine their readiness for placement into more advanced chorus divisions.
Tuition and Financial Aid
- Tuition varies and is determined by division and level. More information about tuition will be included if accepted into the program.
- Brooklyn Youth Chorus encourages families who need assistance with tuition to apply for financial aid. When you receive your acceptance letter, you will be notified of our financial aid application dates and processes. Families may need to provide tax returns and pay stubs or evidence of receiving social services benefits as part of the application process. You do not need to be receiving social services benefits to qualify for financial aid.