Welcome! We’re so glad that you’re interested in our programs. Brooklyn Youth Chorus offers exceptional choral music training for both boys and girls, ages 7 to 21 years old. No experience is required, but a love of singing and enthusiasm for music is essential.
** COVID-19 AUDITION UPDATE **
Due to the restrictions on public gatherings and social distancing measures, Brooklyn Youth Chorus is temporarily waiving auditions for new singers until further notice. New singers will be automatically placed into the entry-level division based on their current age. Once social distancing rules have been lifted, students may be asked to complete a ‘new singer assessment’, in addition to classroom observations, to ensure the best placement within the Chorus’s division levels
If your young person is interested in joining Brooklyn Youth Chorus for the 2020-21 season (September 2020 to mid-May 2021) please complete and submit the form below.
Audition Information – Auditions are temporarily waived until further notice
Auditions are conducted in a relaxed, informal atmosphere, and students do not need to prepare anything in advance. The audition lasts between 5-10 minutes and includes simple pitch-matching exercises, singing scales and the familiar song, “Happy Birthday.” Auditions are held free of charge.
Brooklyn Youth Chorus’s division structure is organized by both age and level of skill and experience. Most new choristers begin in one of the Training Divisions—Levels 1 to 6 and Men’s Training. Advanced singers (ages 11+) may be placed in one of the three Performing Ensembles. The number and length of rehearsals, as well as the number of performances each year, increase as a chorister progresses through the program.
- Prep (boys and girls; ages 7-9)
- Level 1 & 2: 1 hour, 1 day / week
- Pre-Teen (boys and girls; ages 10-12)
- Level 3: 1.5 hours, 1 day / week
- Level 4: 2 hours, 1 day / week
- Level 5: 2 hours, 1 day / week + extra 2 hour rehearsal approximately 2 times / semester
- Teen (boys and girls; ages 13+)
- Level 6: 2 hours, 1 day / week + extra 2 hour rehearsal approximately 2 times / semester
- Men’s Training (boys with changed voices; ages 12+)
- 2 hours, 1 day / week + extra 2 hour rehearsal approximately 2 times / semester
- Junior Ensemble (boys and girls, ages 11+)
- 2 hours, 2 days / week
- Men’s Ensemble (boys with changed voices, ages 12+)
- 2 hours, 2 days / week
- Concert Ensemble (boys and girls, ages 11+)
- 2 hours and 15 minutes, 3 days / week
Choristers are assessed each spring to evaluate their progress and determine their readiness for placement into more advanced chorus divisions.
Rehearsals take place in various neighborhood locations in Brooklyn, according to class level and section. In addition to our Headquarters located at 179 Pacific Street, neighborhood rehearsal locations currently include Cobble Hill, Brooklyn Heights, Bed-Stuy, and Fort Greene (locations subject to change).
Tuition and Financial Aid
- Tuition varies and is determined by division and level. More information about tuition will be included if accepted into the program.
- Brooklyn Youth Chorus encourages families who need assistance with tuition to apply for financial aid. When you receive your acceptance letter, you will be notified of our financial aid application dates and processes. Families may need to provide tax returns and pay stubs or evidence of receiving social services benefits as part of the application process. You do not need to be receiving social services benefits to qualify for financial aid.