Give for now, Give for their future
To celebrate its 25th anniversary, Brooklyn Youth Chorus has launched a $3,000,000 campaign to secure its next 25 years of service to NYC youth, as we grow and expand our reach to communities across the city. Nearly $1.7 million has already been raised towards our goal. A gift to the 25th Anniversary Campaign is a stretch commitment above and beyond contributions to our Annual Fund, which supports our day-to-day operations and financial aid initiative.
Please help us reach our goal so that we can secure our future and ensure that the exceptional opportunities that we provide remain accessible to the young people of New York City in perpetuity. The funds raised will be channeled into three critical areas:
INVESTING IN YOUTH
Charles J. and Irene F. Hamm Scholarship Fund
This endowed Fund will answer the growing demand for financial assistance and will ensure that all children have equal opportunities to succeed as musicians and individuals. Fundraising goal: $2,000,000
“Brooklyn Youth Chorus is a place where young singers find their voice and worth. With the support of the Chorus, I was able to pursue my love of music and received a scholarship to get my degree in music education.” —Maryam, founding chorister
CREATING ARTISTIC PATHWAYS
Barclay Collins New Creations Fund
Through this fund, we will offer our choristers the transformative experience of working directly with living artists and commissioning, producing, recording and touring new works that amplify their bright talents. Fundraising goal: $600,000
“I don’t think there is anything better than working with a living composer. It expands our horizons and training. We learn how to be professional on a completely different level. It’s a great responsibility that I take very seriously.” —Sarah, Class of ‘17
BUILDING OUR FUTURE
Organizational Development Fund
This new fund will support pivotal investments in our staff and infrastructure including technological upgrades, repairs to our building, and expanded service in underserved communities. Fundraising goal: $400,000
“Think about what music can do in these young people’s lives. It opens doors of opportunity. Brooklyn Youth Chorus exemplifies what arts and music education is about—investing in our youth.” —Congresswoman Nydia M. VelázquezDonate today
- GIVE: Gifts of all sizes will make a huge difference and every dollar will take us closer to our goal.
- CONNECT: Do you know anyone interested in supporting access to arts education for children of all backgrounds? Are you connected to individuals, corporations, or foundations who might be able to support our efforts? Please email Director of Development Sarah Weinberg at firstname.lastname@example.org to share ideas and discuss the best way to approach your contacts.
- HOST: Host a reception at your home or business to help spread the word about the campaign and the lives that we are transforming together every day. A group of choristers might be able to perform at the event. Please email Director of Development Sarah Weinberg at email@example.com to discuss.
- ESTATE PLANNING: Call 718-243-9447 ext. 226 to learn how you can join the Encore Society’s passionate family of supporters.
- For the past 25 years, Brooklyn Youth Chorus has been empowering the lives of NYC children through the rigorous study and practice of music, reaching beyond boundaries of race and class, fostering a spirit of possibility, and exceeding expectations for artistry and excellence
- Participation in Brooklyn Youth Chorus leads to transformative artistic and personal development: 87% of our choristers report that they are better are setting and achieving goals. 90% of our choristers report having higher expectations of themselves.
- In the past five years, 100% of our graduates have been admitted four-year colleges.
- Brooklyn Youth Chorus helps level the playing field for economically disadvantaged students. 40% of our choristers are on scholarship and the demand for financial assistance grows every year. Over 35% of our choristers come from extremely low, very low, or low-income households.
- On average, tuition covers only 27% of our program costs. We strive to keep tuition low so as to never deter broad access to our program.
25th Anniversary Campaign Committee
Charles J. Hamm, Honorary Chair
Kenneth Adams and M. Salomé Galib, Campaign Co-Chairs
Dianne Berkun Menaker, Founder & Artistic Director
25th Anniversary Circle: Special thanks to the following visionaries for their transformative commitment to the campaign
Jacqueline and Joseph Aguanno
Bob and Joan Catell
J. Barclay Collins
Marie DeRosa and Richard McNeil
Judith R. and Alan H. Fishman
Charles J. and Irene F. Hamm
Annie Keating and Kim Hawkins
Diane and Adam E. Max
Jennifer Sage and Nicolas Grabar
Morris and Alma Schapiro Fund
David and Jane Walentas
JOIN OUR 25th ANNIVERSARY CIRCLE with a gift of $25,000 or more in support of the campaign. Benefits include tickets to performances, access rehearsals with celebrated composers, invitations to special events and more. For gifts of $10,000 or more, multi-year pledges are gratefully accepted. Please contact Sarah Weinberg at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or download a pledge form HERE.